EINSTEIN CHOICE: A Study of Xarelto® with a Flexible Choice of Dosage for Extended Treatment of Recurrent VTE
- To compare the efficacy and safety profile of 20 mg OD or 10 mg OD Xarelto doses with aspirin for extended treatment of recurrent VTE, in patients who had been treated for 6–12 months with an anticoagulant therapy1
- EINSTEIN CHOICE is a randomised, double-blind, active-controlled, event-driven, superiority, phase III study1
- The primary efficacy outcome was symptomatic, recurrent, fatal or non-fatal VTE, and the principal safety outcome was major bleeding1
a≤7 days of treatment interruption prior to randomisation. bPatients randomised after the requisite number of primary efficacy outcomes was reached were treated for ≥6 months.
Patients’ Clinical Characteristics
- Both 10 mg OD and 20 mg OD Xarelto doses significantly reduce the risk of recurrent VTE vs aspirinc,1
- Both 10 mg OD and 20 mg OD Xarelto doses demonstrated a low risk of major bleeding, similar to aspirinc,1
- Overall rates of major and clinically relevant non-major bleeding were similar between both Xarelto doses and aspirinc,1
, venous thromboembolism; OD, once daily; PE
, pulmonary embolism; DVT
, deep vein thrombosis
cFor VTE extended treatment.