Xarelto® - Excellent Efficacy and Convenience with Reassuring Safety
Xarelto directly inhibits Factor Xa
In RECORD2 comparing 5 weeks of Xarelto with 2 weeks of enoxaparin, Xarelto also demonstrated significantly better efficacy, with similar safety, compared to enoxaparin.3
Other available therapies
- 1 - Xarelto® (rivaroxaban) Summary of Product Characteristics as approved by the European Commission.
- 26 - Turpie AG. Oral, direct factor Xa inhibitors in development for the prevention and treatment of thromboembolic diseases. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol. 2007;27(6):1238-1247.
- 29 - Lohrmann J, Becker RC. New anticoagulants—the path from discovery to clinical practice. N Engl J Med. 2008;358(26):2827-2829.
- 2 - Eriksson BI, Borris LC, Friedman RJ, et al; RECORD1 Study Group. Rivaroxaban versus enoxaparin for thromboprophylaxis after hip arthroplasty. N Engl J Med. 2008;358(26):2765-2775.
- 4 - Lassen MR, Ageno W, Borris LC, et al; RECORD3 Investigators. Rivaroxaban versus enoxaparin for thromboprophylaxis after total knee arthroplasty. N Engl J Med. 2008;358(26):2776-2786.
- 9 - International Congress on Thrombosis: Rivaroxaban is first novel oral anticoagulant to significantly reduce the composite outcome of symptomatic VTE and death [press release]. Leverkusen, Germany: Bayer HealthCare AG; June 30, 2008.
- 3 - Kakkar AK, Brenner B, Dahl OE, et al; RECORD2 Investigators. Extended duration rivaroxaban versus short-term enoxaparin for the prevention of venous thromboembolism after total hip arthroplasty: a double-blind, randomised controlled trial. Lancet. 2008;372(9632):31-39.
- 7 - Cohen AT, Tapson VF, Bergmann JF, et al; ENDORSE Investigators. Venous thromboembolism risk and prophylaxis in the acute hospital care setting (ENDORSE study): a multinational cross-sectional study. Lancet. 2008;371(9610):387-394.
- 27 - Haas S. New oral Xa and IIa inhibitors: updates on clinical trial results. J Thromb Thrombolysis. 2008;25(1):52-60.
- 8 - Kubitza D, Haas S. Novel factor Xa inhibitors for prevention and treatment of thromboembolic diseases. Expert Opin Investig Drugs. 2006;15(8):843-855.
- 30 - Ansell J, Hirsh J, Hylek E, Jacobson A, Crowther M, Palareti G. Pharmacology and management of the vitamin K antagonists: American College of Chest Physicians Evidence-Based Clinical Practice Guidelines (8th Edition). Chest. 2008;133(6 suppl):160S-198S.
- Factor Xa
- Pivotal component of blood clotting cascade. Stimulates the production of thrombin, the enzyme in the coagulation cascade that promotes the formation of blood clots.
- Venous thromboembolism
- A disease process beginning with a blood clot occurring within the venous system, including deep vein thrombosis and pulmonary embolism.
- The ability of a drug to produce the desired effect.
- Major orthopaedic surgery
- Major operations on the bones or joints including total hip or knee replacement surgery.
- Introduced beneath the skin.
- Formation of a clot inside a blood vessel.