Pulmonary Embolism │Symptoms
Pulmonary Embolism (PE)
Xarelto®, taken as one tablet once daily, was found in clinical studies to be more effective than enoxaparin in preventing venous blood clots that may lead to deep vein thrombosis (DVT) and pulmonary embolism (PE) in adult patients undergoing elective hip or knee replacement surgery.2, 3, 4
Pulmonary Embolism (PE) Symptoms
The signs and symptoms of pulmonary embolism (PE) include tachycardia, chest pain, shortness of breath, anxiety, and cough. These symptoms overlap with those for many other cardiac and pulmonary conditions.
See also: Deep Vein Thrombosis (DVT)
See also: Venous Thromboembolism (VTE)
- 52 - Francis CW. Clinical practice. Prophylaxis for thromboembolism in hospitalized medical patients. N Engl J Med. 2007;356(14):1438-1444.
- 6 - Geerts WH, Bergqvist D, Pineo GF, et al. Prevention of venous thromboembolism: American College of Chest Physicians Evidence-Based Clinical Practice Guidelines (8th Edition). Chest. 2008;133(6 suppl):381S-453S.
- 48 - Goldhaber SZ, Tapson VF; DVT FREE Steering Committee. A prospective registry of 5,451 patients with ultrasound-confirmed deep vein thrombosis. Am J Cardiol. 2004;93(2):259-262.
- 2 - Eriksson BI, Borris LC, Friedman RJ, et al; RECORD1 Study Group. Rivaroxaban versus enoxaparin for thromboprophylaxis after hip arthroplasty. N Engl J Med. 2008;358(26):2765-2775.
- 3 - Kakkar AK, Brenner B, Dahl OE, et al; RECORD2 Investigators. Extended duration rivaroxaban versus short-term enoxaparin for the prevention of venous thromboembolism after total hip arthroplasty: a double-blind, randomised controlled trial. Lancet. 2008;372(9632):31-39.
- 4 - Lassen MR, Ageno W, Borris LC, et al; RECORD3 Investigators. Rivaroxaban versus enoxaparin for thromboprophylaxis after total knee arthroplasty. N Engl J Med. 2008;358(26):2776-2786.