Oral Anticoagulant │ Anticoagulation Therapy
Oral Anticoagulant UTA
Xarelto® is the first direct oral Factor Xa inhibitor (approved in the European Union for the prevention of venous thromboembolism [VTE] in adult patients undergoing elective hip or knee replacement surgery), a new generation of investigational anticoagulants targeting the prevention and treatment of acute and chronic thromboembolic diseases. Extensive studies already involve more than 32,000 patients, and more than 60,000 patients are expected to be evaluated when the studies are completed. This establishes Xarelto® as the most studied anticoagulant of its kind to date.64, 68
Oral Anticoagulation Therapy
See also: Blood Clot Prevention and Treatment
- 26 - Turpie AG. Oral, direct factor Xa inhibitors in development for the prevention and treatment of thromboembolic diseases. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol. 2007;27(6):1238-1247.
- 64 - Bayer’s Novel Anticoagulant Rivaroxaban Submitted for Approval in the U.S. [press release] Available at http://www.viva.vita.bayerhealthcare.com/index.php?id=36&tx_ttnews[tt_news]=12625&cHash=97a2ea4a90
- 68 - U.S. FDA Advisory Committee supports favorable benefit-risk profile of Bayer’s rivaroxaban [press release] Available at http://www.press.bayer.com/baynews/baynews.nsf/id/2A95822BEA3213E7C125757E0074EC47?Open
- 7 - Cohen AT, Tapson VF, Bergmann JF, et al; ENDORSE Investigators. Venous thromboembolism risk and prophylaxis in the acute hospital care setting (ENDORSE study): a multinational cross-sectional study. Lancet. 2008;371(9610):387-394.
- 8 - Kubitza D, Haas S. Novel factor Xa inhibitors for prevention and treatment of thromboembolic diseases. Expert Opin Investig Drugs. 2006;15(8):843-855.
- 27 - Haas S. New oral Xa and IIa inhibitors: updates on clinical trial results. J Thromb Thrombolysis. 2008;25(1):52-60.
- 30 - Ansell J, Hirsh J, Hylek E, Jacobson A, Crowther M, Palareti G. Pharmacology and management of the vitamin K antagonists: American College of Chest Physicians Evidence-Based Clinical Practice Guidelines (8th Edition). Chest. 2008;133(6 suppl):160S-198S.