DVT Symptoms and Prevention
Xarelto®, taken as one tablet once daily, was found in clinical studies to be significantly more effective than enoxaparin in preventing venous blood clots that may lead to deep vein thrombosis (DVT) and pulmonary embolism (PE) in adult patients undergoing elective hip or knee replacement surgery. (Note: RECORD2 compared extended-duration (5 weeks) Xarelto® to short-term (2 weeks) enoxaparin.)2, 3, 4
See also: Pulmonary Embolism (PE)
See also: Venous Thromboembolism (VTE)
- 6 - Geerts WH, Bergqvist D, Pineo GF, et al. Prevention of venous thromboembolism: American College of Chest Physicians Evidence-Based Clinical Practice Guidelines (8th Edition). Chest. 2008;133(6 suppl):381S-453S.
- 37 - Sandler DA. Martin JF. Autopsy proven pulmonary embolism in hospital patients: are we detecting enough deep vein thrombosis? J R Soc Med. 1989;82(4):203-205.
- 52 - Francis CW. Clinical practice. Prophylaxis for thromboembolism in hospitalized medical patients. N Engl J Med. 2007;356(14):1438-1444.
- 7 - Cohen AT, Tapson VF, Bergmann JF, et al; ENDORSE Investigators. Venous thromboembolism risk and prophylaxis in the acute hospital care setting (ENDORSE study): a multinational cross-sectional study. Lancet. 2008;371(9610):387-394.
- 2 - Eriksson BI, Borris LC, Friedman RJ, et al; RECORD1 Study Group. Rivaroxaban versus enoxaparin for thromboprophylaxis after hip arthroplasty. N Engl J Med. 2008;358(26):2765-2775.
- 3 - Kakkar AK, Brenner B, Dahl OE, et al; RECORD2 Investigators. Extended duration rivaroxaban versus short-term enoxaparin for the prevention of venous thromboembolism after total hip arthroplasty: a double-blind, randomised controlled trial. Lancet. 2008;372(9632):31-39.
- 4 - Lassen MR, Ageno W, Borris LC, et al; RECORD3 Investigators. Rivaroxaban versus enoxaparin for thromboprophylaxis after total knee arthroplasty. N Engl J Med. 2008;358(26):2776-2786.